Who knew five ingredients could bring together such a beauty! This recipe goes out to all people who want to eat gluten free for breakfast and still want the same satisfaction that comes from a warm toast. This meal is not only delicious but high in protein and complex carbohydrates. My favorite part surely is when the yolk breaks into the spicy black beans. The spinach brings together the fresh balance to this recipe.
The black beans that I used were Trader Joe's Cuban Black Beans which makes the whole breakfast process so much easier since it already contains the seasoning. A touch of ketchup brings in the perfect sweetness and crushed red pepper is the final kick.
For anyone who works early hours it becomes hard to have breakfast at home. If something takes more than 15 minutes to make in the morning then it will likely not happen for most of us (I am guilty too!). The reason this recipe works so well is because its the least amount of ingredients, maximal flavor and under 15 minutes to create.
However, nothing is better than the fact that a serving of this recipe is only 365 calories. Not only do you start off your day with a meal that I would label "delish" but you have not digressed off your diet plan. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
2 Tablespoons of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 Can of Trader Joe's Cuban Black Beans
2 Tablespoons of Ketchup
2 Teaspoons of Crushed Red Pepper
2 Cups of Spinach (Sauteed)
1) Heat a skillet on the stove on medium heat.
2) Pour in a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
3) When the oil appears heated, add in the cuban black beans.
4) Pour in the ketchup and mix well and then sprinkle in the crushed red pepper.
5) Heat a separate non-stick skillet on medium heat.
6) Pour in a tablespoon of olive oil and when it appears heated, crack an egg into the pan.
7) If the oil starts to spit up then it would be too hot and the heat can be lowered.
8) Cook until the egg white portion appears set yet still runny.
9) In a plate, place the sauteed spinach in the center and then place the cuban black beans surrounding it.
10)Top with the sunny side egg and enjoy your breakfast!
Serving Size: 2